Culture

Galeria da Biodiversidade – Centro Ciência Viva
6 February, 2018 / , , , ,

Entirely dedicated to biodiversity, the Galeria da Biodiversidade – Centro Ciência Viva is so much more than a museum. This modern space, which combines science and art, is made to create unforgettable memories.  It hosts the photographic exhibition Photo Ark up until the end of April

The center integrates the Museu de História Natural e da Ciência da Universidade do Porto (MHNC-UP) (Natural History and Science Museum of the University of Porto), which along with the Jardim Botânico (Botanical Garden) represents one of the hubs connected to the University of Porto.

Located in the legendary Casa Andresen – which inspired the renowned Portuguese poet Sophia de Mello Breyner – the Galeria da Biodiversidade is also surrounded by the Botanical Garden, an equally mandatory stop for science lovers, It is a place where art meets biology and natural history, stimulating interactivity and sensorial experiences. The permanent exhibition integrates 49 very unique narrative modules and installations, organized by 15 main themes that approach several aspects within biological and cultural diversity. From mechanical models to multimedia platforms, there are several ways of bringing together the visitor and the stories told through science, literature and art.

 

 

Photographic Noah’s Ark

Until the 29th April, the Biodiversity Gallery hosts the National Geographic Photo Ark, based on a project from Joel Sartore.  This photographer set a goal 10 years ago: photograph all existing species held in captivity, to create one of the largest archives of biodiversity in the world. This “Photographic Noah’s Ark” is intended to create public awareness towards the conservation of vulnerable animals. The exhibition already pictures over 7000 species and you do not want to miss on seeing its greatest pictures here.

 

Information:

Galeria da Biodiversidade (Gallery of Biodiversity)

Rua do Campo Alegre, n.º 1191, Porto

Schedule: from Tuesday to Sunday, 10am to 6pm

Regular Ticket: 5€

 

 

 

 

The pipe organs that have been operating since 1779
15 January, 2018 / , ,

The Historical Organs of the Clérigos continue to function perfectly, despite being more than 200 years old.

They were made by the Spanish Dom Sebastião de Acunha and, like the building in which they are inserted, are a notable example of the Baroque style that characterized the late eighteenth century. The box of the organ on the side of the epistle is surmounted by a moon; the side of the gospel is characterized by a sun. The unification of these two elements refers to the idea of ​​absolute and totality.

In 2015, these organs were played daily, always at the same time (at noon), often with the two historical organs simultaneously and sometimes with the participation of singers. These free concerts enchant the Porto residents and tourists and are another attraction for an already much sought after destination as well as being appreciated by those who visit the city.

In December 2017 Organ Concert # 1000 was celebrated. It was a special day, where two organists and a soprano were in attendance. But every day one can celebrate the long life of these historical pipe organs and enjoy their music.

Marques da Silva – The architect of Porto
10 January, 2018 / ,

His work definitely stamps the city of Porto. From private homes, schools and even the iconic monument, Marques da Silva has helped build a more modern and more beautiful city.

Born on Costa Cabral Street in Porto, he died in the same city in 1947. José Marques da Silva was born, lived and died in Porto, but Paris and French aesthetics influenced him most. He began studying at the Academia Portuense de Belas Artes, and later studied in École Nationale et Spéciale des Beaux-Arts.

He returned to Portugal in 1896, and almost immediately signed a project of great importance: the São Bento station. In fact, the Gare Central had been his final work in the Architecture course taken in Paris. However, the initial idea had to be reformulated successively, as the station would only be completed in 1916. Despite the fact that a work of such magnitude was handed to him – the city’s first railway station – demonstrates the prestige he already had in the early stages of his career. In 1900 he received a silver medal in the exhibition of Paris, which contributed to increase his national and international prestige.

Throughout his life, Marques da Silva signed several projects that modernized the face of the city. Rarely do you find buildings which fuse aesthetics with functionality and which are sprinkled throughout the city, from Baixa to Serralves.

He was also a professor and director at the Faculty of Fine Arts of Porto and the School of Applied Art Soares Reis. He was also the author of important works in Guimarães and Barcelos.

Some emblematic works in Oporto:

São Bento Station (1896-1916)

Building of the Four Seasons (1905), Rua das Carmelitas

Atelier Marques da Silva (1909), Marquês de Pombal Square

Monument of the Heroes of the Peninsular War (1909), Rotunda da Boavista

São João National Theater (1910-1920), in Praça da Batalha

Building of the Nascimento Department Stores, (1914-1927), corner of Rua de Santa Catarina and Passos Manuel

Lyceum Alexandre Herculano (1914-1931), on Avenida Camilo

Romanesque Church of Cedofeita
10 January, 2018 / , ,

It is the oldest church in Porto, with origins dating back to the sixth century and a king desperate to save a sick son.

Classified as a National Monument and located next to another larger and more modern church, the Church of São Martinho de Cedofeita, commonly known as the Romanesque Church of Cedofeita, stands out for its simplicity and antiquity.

The present church is not, however, the original building, since the temple dates back to the sixth century and the Suebi Dynasty, undergoing several changes over the years. The earliest remains were from the end of the ninth century, therefore predating the very formation of Portugal, which only occurred in the twelfth century. It may have been after 868 (year of the re-conquest of the city from the Moors) that a temple was built, whose capitals still resist. These elements were built in limestone, probably originating from the region of Coimbra, while the remaining building was made in granite. The lower parts of the chancel would have been built later, dating back to about 1087.

Nevertheless, the Romanesque phase of this important work only appeared later, during the period of the reign of D. Afonso Henriques, the first Portuguese king. In addition to its antiquity, this church has unique architectural and decorative features in this region of the country: particularly important is the tympanum in the North Portal, where one can see an Agnus Dei (a mystical lamb symbolizing Christ in the Apocalypse), quite similar to one that exists currently at the Machado de Castro National Museum in Coimbra. The influences of this region can be explained by the fact that Soeiro Anes worked on this project, which was also connected to the Sé Velha of Coimbra.

The legend:

The Suebi king Theodomiro, desperate to save his sick son, made a promise to Saint Martin of Tours, sending to Tours gold and silver in weight equal to that of his son. When returning, a bishop brought a relic of the saint, and when it was shown, the sick son healed. Feeling extremely grateful, the king converted all his people to Catholicism and had a church built in honor of the saint. The church was quickly built, becoming known as Cito Facta, which means Made Early. From this expression the present name of that zone: Cedofeita is derived.

Information:

Largo do Priorado, Porto

Opening Hours: Tuesday through Friday: 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Coliseu do Porto – A symbol of the city’s culture
5 December, 2017 / ,

More than a building that marks the landscape of downtown, the Coliseum of Porto (Coliseu do Porto) is an example of overcoming difficulties and the way the people of Porto defend their symbols.

The current building was inaugurated on December 19, 1941, reflecting on a project in which several architects participated and the Modernism that marked the end of the 30’s. However, in the place where the Coliseum is today , there was the Jardim Passos Manuel Hall, a place not only for cinema shows, but also for parties, a music hall and painting exhibitions that had been built in the beginning of the 20th century. The success of this concept led the owner to consider enlarging it. In 1938 the Coliseum began to be built, and was inaugurated with a Gala soiree. This inaugural concert was revived during the celebrations of the 50th anniversary.

From its inauguration, until the end of the 60’s, the theater received cinema, concerts, operas and circuses. Renowned names like Marcel Marceau and Rudolf Nureyev passed by during that period. In the 70’s, the Coliseum also welcomed the Cine-Studio Passos Manuel, a smaller room dedicated to the author’s cinema.

There were two of the most striking episodes in the life of the Coliseum in the mid-1990s: in 1995 rumors surfaced that it would be sold to the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God, which led hundreds of people to protest for several days in front of the building. Due to the pressure, the company owner finally agreed to sell the building to the Association of Friends of the Coliseum of Porto, which emerged from this wave of solidarity between artists, cultural agents and anonymous figures.

 

On September 28 of the following year, and a few hours after the Portugal Fashion shows finished, a tragic event in the Coliseum and the city came about: a fire destroyed the stage, damaging the room and the dressing rooms. Once again, institutions, companies and private individuals united in an exemplary effort, ensuring the reopening of the Coliseum in December of that year, fulfilling, as always, the tradition of receiving the Christmas Circus.

The Coliseum modernized in the late 90’s and today remains one of the main stages of the city.

The “twin” churches
5 December, 2017 / ,

They stand side by side, separated by a narrow house. The Carmo and Carmelitas churches seem to be one, but they have very different stories.

Between these two churches lies the narrowest building in the city, which gives access to the bell tower. However, to get there, it is necessary to climb three floors and go over the dome of the Carmelite church.

The Church of the Carmelitas was the first to be built and is next to the old Convent of Our Lady of Porto (now GNR headquarters). It is a church of the seventeenth century, with a classic façade and exuberant interior, in Porto rococo wood carving. It was the first house of the Order of the Discalced Carmelites monks. The foundation stone was laid on May 5, 1619, and the work was completed in 1622.

The Carmo Church is more recent, dating back to the second half of the eighteenth century. Thus, the rococo style (characterized by a huge profusion of decorative details) is much more evident, both in the exterior and interior architecture. The tiles that cover the lateral facade were placed in 1912. They were designed by Silvestre Silvestri and are allusive to the cult of Our Lady.

Rua Sá da Bandeira
7 November, 2017 / , , ,

From the little farms and alleys a cosmopolitan street was born.

Today it is one of the most central and busiest streets of Porto, but it was a place formerly occupied by agricultural land, alleys and even stalls.

The name of the street itself has a curious story: Bernardo Sá Nogueira de Figueiredo was a marshal loyal to the Liberals troops. During the Siege of Porto, in the war between Liberals and Absolutists, the arm that carried the liberal flag was severed by the enemy. It would be known as Sá da Bandeira. Later he took up important political positions, even becoming a minister. He was also distinguished with the titles of Baron, Viscount and Marquis.

Rua Sá da Bandeira only appeared in the 19th century: until then, it was still an area with small  farms and farmland, many of them belonging to D. Antónia Adelaide Ferreira (A Ferreirinha), one of the most important names in the history of Port Wine. The area also had small alleys, which were almost completely demolished.

The street began to be constructed in 1836, but the first houses would only appear seven years later. In 1875 it was extended to Rua Formosa and the continuation until Rua de Fernandes Tomás (1904) which forced the demolition of the stables where the horses, which pulled the public transport, were at the time. Later, the street would be extended to the South and later to the North, until it gained its present form.

 

Points of interest

 

Sá da Bandeira Theater

It opened in 1870, but earlier there had been more rudimentary structures for spectacles. It was here that in 1895, Sarah Bernhardt performed, and it was also here that the first films which were made in Portugal were shown. It is said to have been the first theater in Porto to use electric lighting.

 

 

 

Bolhão Market

O mercado mais tradicional da cidade foi construído em cima de uma bolha de água (daí o seu nome). Datado de 1850, é um belo exemplo da arquitetura neoclássica, mas é o seu interior, onde a alma Porto está mais presente. Os produtos frescos, a simpatia dos vendedores e a frescura dos produtos tradicionais portugueses merecem uma visita.

 

 

Palácio do Comércio

A residential building, with commerce and offices, which surprises by its magnificence. It is worth beholding the sculptures of horses that are at the top, as well as all its architecture. It was built in the 1940s by the couple of architects David Moreira da Silva and Maria José Marques da Silva, daughter of José Marques da Silva, one of the most important architects of the city.

 

 

 

A Brasileira Café

It is currently under construction to become a hotel, but this is a building with history. In 1903, Adriano Teles, who had been an emigrant in Brazil, opened this cafe to make known his own brand of coffee. During the decades of 50 and 60 was habitual place of get-togethers and gatherings.

The day the king visited Oporto
13 October, 2017 / ,

In November and December 1908 D. Manuel II, who would  become the last king of Portugal, made a long journey to the north of the country  and spent several days in Oporto.

On one of these days, and after his mother, Queen Amélia, having shopped in a large store in the city, the people gathered at Campo da Regeneração (currently Praça da República) for a military parade. The newspapers of the time headlined that many people went up to the rooftops to watch the parade, however, cars, trams that headed to the place had to turn back due to the concentration of people.

The Royal cortege toured several streets of the Baixa and on Rua de Santa Catarina, they were received with a shower of flowers. At the end of the day a gala dinner was held at Palácio dos Carrancas. Dona Amelia had a full day, having visited the atelier of the sculptor Teixeira Lopes.

After having traveled several localities of the north, D. Manuel II returned to Oporto, having participated in a soirée at Ateneu Comercial of Porto. In another tribute to the king, the baths of Praia do Ourigo were named after the King. In October of 1910 the Republic was implanted and the designation was forever forgotten.

Source: The Tripeiro 7th grade Year XVI Number 1 and 2 February 1997

Porto in miniature
8 May, 2017 /

The main monuments of the city of Porto in miniature in an exhibition that can be seen in the shopping center La Vie Porto Baixa Center until May 15.

There are about 20 miniature buildings, which depict precisely all the details of the iconic landmarks in the city. The “Porto em Miniatura” exhibition can be seen on several floors of this shopping center in Porto downtown (Baixa), bringing together some of the most important monuments of the city, such as the Clérigos Tower (which in this exhibition is only “two meters high) São Bento Station, the jail of Relation, the Cathedral of Porto and the Church of Cedofeita.

These pieces belong to a private collection by Agostinho Conceição Gonçalves Teixeira, a genuine “tripeiro” (Porto resident) who, between the 30s and 50s of the last century, dedicated himself to scale models the main landmarks of Invicta(Porto) .

The show, sponsored by Hey Porto, has free admission.

“They are models that portray Porto of the past and memories, focusing on the main monuments of the city, with masterly precise details,” says Francisco Almeida Lemos, promoter of the initiative and current owner of this collection.

 

In this initiative Hey Porto promotes a contest, challenging its readers to take photographs of the miniature monuments present at the exhibition and the real ones. Then you can send your photos to e-mailgeral@heyporto.com together with name, nationality and date of birth. The images will then be evaluated by the Hey Porto team. The 10 best photos receive a free entrance to climb to the Clérigos Tower and will be published in the Hey Porto June edition.

 

 

La Vie Porto Baixa Center

Rua Fernandes Tomás 506/508 Porto

Schedules:

Monday to Saturday: 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Sunday: 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

 

 

 

Bolhão Market through the eyes of two Americans
23 April, 2017 / , ,

The Undiscovered Food Stories of Northern Portugal mentions the Bolhão Market as the character of the book. With texts by Gabriella Opaz and Sonia Andresson and photos by Ryan Opaz, this book which is written in English, is a declaration of love to one of the most mythical places in Porto.

Bolhão is the central point of the stories that are told here: the sellers who are the soul of the market, but also the products that are sold there daily, including recipes of typical dishes and their regions.

The book TheUndiscoveredFoodStoriesofNorthern Portugal, by GabriellaOpaz and Sónia Andresson (Book Workshop), was nominated for the Special Prize of the prestigious GourmandWorldCookbookAwards, also known as the “Oscars” of the kitchen.

 

GabriellaOpaz, one of the authors, revealed to Hey Porto that the inspiration for this book was  the market sellers themselves and the they d manner in which they deal  with hardtimes, always contributing to preserve the Portuguese cultural heritage. Among the many products on sale in the market, GabriellaOpaz highlights the Avintes broa, the succulent olives of the Douro and the fish.

 

The Undiscovered Food Stories of Northern Portugal

GabriellaOpaz and SoniaAndresson

Available for sale at: https://store.catavino.net/