Mass of the Rooster is the name given by Catholics to Mass celebrated on Christmas Eve that begins at midnight from December 24 to 25. The phrase “Mass of the Rooster” is specific to Latin countries and derives from the ancestral tale that at midnight on December 24, a rooster would have sung strongly, as never heard before from another similar animal, announcing the coming of the Messiah, son of God, Jesus Christ.
Another tale, of Spanish origin, says that before hitting the 12 rings of the bell at midnight on December 24, each farmer of the province of Toledo in Spain killed a rooster in memory of the one who sang when St. Peter denied Jesus three times, at the time of his death. The bird was then taken to the Church to be offered to the poor who thus saw their Christmas improve. It was customary, in some Spanish villages, to take the rooster to the church to sing during the Mass, signifying a harbinger of good harvests. But that was formerly because now this is forbidden.
The mass of the rooster is usually celebrated with great joy, as it is told in the text about the tradition of the Mass of the Igreja da Lapa.
16 July, 2018 / Did you know?
A wreck in 1975 left traces for two decades. The prow of the tanker Jakob Maersk was stranded for decades by the Castelo do Queijo, as if recalling the tragedy.
On January 29, 1975, the Danish oil tanker Jakob Maersk loaded with 84,000 tons of crude oil, was headed for the Port of Leixões, but it smashed into a rock at the bottom of the sea. The engine room exploded, the ship broke in three and caught fire. The noise of the explosion and the huge cloud of black smoke startled the local population who still remembers that fateful day.
The fire, which lasted three days, was visible hundreds of kilometres away and caused respiratory problems at the time in many inhabitants of Matosinhos. Seven crew members of the boat died, several were injured and the crude oil spread to a great extent.
The central area of the tanker and the stern sank. The prow floated for several days stranded next to the Castelo do Queijo, where it stayed for 20 years until it was removed.
Near the Palácio de Cristal, a medieval tower resembles a story of arrogance and greed that went awry.
Belonging to the emblazoned house that stands on the corners of the D. Manuel II and Júlio Dinis streets, this medieval tower, classified as a National Monument, is also known as Torre de Pedro Sem.It recalls the legend of a very wealthy man who ended up broke and having to beg for pennies.
According to the fable, in the sixteenth century this palace was inhabited by a wealthy man, owner of several ships used for the commerce of spices and precious metals. It is also said that part of their wealth had been obtained by lending money at high interest rates and dragging many people into poverty.
One day, anxious for the arrival of his ships, he climbed the tower to see the boats at the entrance to Barra do Douro. Ecstatic, he would have shouted that his wealth was so great that even God would not be able to make him poor. At that moment, a storm arose and sank all of his ships. His punishment for blasphemy was even greater: a thunderbolt struck the tower, destroying the house and all its assets. Pedro Sem (Peter Without) lost everything and ended his days as a beggar.
Beer is a favourite drink at any time of the year, but in summertime It is better to accompany a light meal, an afternoon on the terrace, or even at an open-air concert.
Beer and summer blend well and complement each other. Perhaps this is why the Portuguese, as well as great lovers of beer, are also producers of internationally recognized brands. This is the case of Super Bock, made a few kilometres from Porto, which is the only brand on the market to win 36 gold medals from the international Monde Selection da la Qualité. The colour, flavour, foam and body are unique and make it the favourite of the Portuguese and foreigners visiting Portugal. The same brewery also produces Cristal, the oldest beer in the Portuguese market. Existing since 1890, it has also won several gold medals. For those who prefer beer with less alcohol, Cheers ensures the best flavour and lightness.
Produced in the Douro region, it is world -famous and can be enjoyed in the most diverse occasions.
The terraces and the climate of the Douro allied to the experience gained over the centuries to create a unique wine in the world, with an aroma and unique flavours, which features a wide range of colours – ranging from (ruby to pale white, then passing to golden white) and sweetness (very sweet, sweet, semi-sweet or extra dry).
The aging process results in two different types of Port Wine. Ruby wines keep the red colour, fruity aroma and strength of a young wine. In terms of quality, they can be divided into Ruby, Reserve, Late Bottled Vintage (LBV) and Vintage. The wines from the best categories, especially Vintage, can be stored for several years, as they age well in the bottle.
Tawny ports are obtained by blending different matured wines by aging in casks or vats. Colours can be red-tawny, tawny or tawny light and aromas evoke dried fruit and wood, characteristics that are accentuated with age. The existing categories are: Tawny, Tawny Reserve, Tawny with age indication (10 years, 20 years, 30 years and 40 years) and Vintage. They may be consumed shortly after bottling.
“A Saída do Pessoal Operário da Fábrica Confiança”, made in 1896, may have been the first film made in Portugal.
The birth of Portuguese cinema is connected to the city of Porto and a man who had photography as a hobby and commerce as his main activity.
Aurélio da Paz dos Reis was an image enthusiast and, in addition to fl owers and seeds, he also used to sell films, typewriters and automobiles. He pursued with interest all the innovations that were emerging at that time and he tried to buy a cinematograph from the Lumière brothers. Not succeeding, he acquired from his brother in law a chronophotograph device.
It was with this equipment that in 1896 he made what would be considered the first Portuguese film: “ A Saída do Pessoal Operário da Fábrica Confiança.”
This shirt factory, located on Rua de Santa Catarina, No. 181, was the chosen location, maybe influenced by the Lumière brothers fi lm (1894/1895), La Sortie de l’usine Lumière à Lyon.
The first movie theatre of the city, Salão Highlife, was inaugurated in 1906.
The Historical Organs of the Clérigos continue to function perfectly, despite being more than 200 years old.
They were made by the Spanish Dom Sebastião de Acunha and, like the building in which they are inserted, are a notable example of the Baroque style that characterized the late eighteenth century. The box of the organ on the side of the epistle is surmounted by a moon; the side of the gospel is characterized by a sun. The unification of these two elements refers to the idea of absolute and totality.
In 2015, these organs were played daily, always at the same time (at noon), often with the two historical organs simultaneously and sometimes with the participation of singers. These free concerts enchant the Porto residents and tourists and are another attraction for an already much sought after destination as well as being appreciated by those who visit the city.
In December 2017 Organ Concert # 1000 was celebrated. It was a special day, where two organists and a soprano were in attendance. But every day one can celebrate the long life of these historical pipe organs and enjoy their music.
17 October, 2017 / Did you know?
- In 1958 and 1960 the best pilots in the world competed in Porto. Boavista street circuit attracted hundreds of thousands of people.
On August 24, 1958, Formula 1 made its debut in Portugal, including names like Stirling Moss, Mike Hawthorn, Jack Brabham, Graham Hill and the first woman to drive a Formula 1 – Maria Teresa de Filippis. In a race where more than 100 thousand people attended the event, Stirling Moss ended up winning. Moss and Hawthorn contended for the title but there was a unforgettable moment of good sportsmanship: at Antunes Guimarães exit, Hawthorn failed to stop and could not get his Ferrari to start. He tried to push it towards the circuit, but as the course was going up he turned the car around and, thanks to the slope, finally managed to get the car to work. The track marshals investigated the possibility of breach of regulation, but Stirling Moss testified that Hawthorn had pushed the Ferrari off the track. A very important gesture of sportsmanship: Hawthorn eventually won the World Championship, with one point over Moss.
In 1960, Formula 1 returned to Porto and the Boa Vista Circuit. Jack Brabham won his fifth victory that year, winning his second world title in advance
26 June, 2017 / Did you know?
It is 5.5 kilometers long, between the Military Hospital and Castelo do Queijo, where it is possible to be aware of the past and the present of the city.
The largest street in Porto only came into existence in the mid nineteenth century, being, at that time, one of the noblest areas of the city. The mansions which were built by the wealthiest families of Porto (including the emigrants who had made their fortunes in Brazil) still exist, but no longer have the residential function which they were originally built for.
Avenida da Boavista is now a place of business and leisure, where offices and shopping buildings co-exist with restaurants, cafes and hotels, in a landscape that reflect influences from various eras.
In the northern part of the avenue stand out the Casa da Música building and the Monument to the Heroes of the Peninsular War, in the center of the Boavista Roundabout. There are miles of shops and services, however, as you head south, the closeness of the sea and the City Park makes you forget the hustle and bustle and welcomes you to moments of leisure.
8 May, 2017 / Did you know?
Was the Circunvalação used to collect taxes?
This road that surrounds Porto is 17 kilometers long, between the zone of Campanhã and the sea. It was strategically built and it had 13 posts to collect taxes on goods entering Porto.
The construction of the Circumvallation Road (National Road 12) began in 1889 and was based on a military design; there were ditches (moats) with 2 to 3 meters of depth in the place where the central slab is now.
Its main objective was to inspect the goods that entered the city overland, charging the respective taxes. Along the road there were 13 small buildings (Esteiro, Freixo, Campanhã, São Roque, Rebordões, Areosa, Azenha, Amial, Monte dos Burgos, Senhora da Hora, Pereiro, Vilarinha and Castelo do Queijo) in which employees of the Crown, Bishopric and the Municipality charged their respective fees. For example, the tax named “Real da Agua”, focused on meat, alcoholic beverages, rice, vinegar and olive oil was abolished in 1922. The revenue was allocated to the maintenance of pipes, fountains and aqueducts that supplied water to the populations. In 1943 all indirect municipal taxes were abolished.
Many of these collection posts have been demolished, but some still stand.