9 October, 2018 / News
This garden in Foz do Douro is a tribute to war heroes. It has been recently renovated and is the perfect place to enjoy moments of tranquility.
Until 1914 this square had the designation of Largo da Monte da Luz, since this was the name of that area of the Foz do Douro. However, a war episode would change the name of the place. The German invasion of Liège during World War I, and the heroic way in which the inhabitants of this Belgian city beat each other, have caused a great wave of solidarity in Oporto and in various Portuguese towns. On October 8, 1914 the proposal for the attribution of the name of Praça de Liège at Largo da Monte da Luz was approved.
This garden, known for its great tranquility, was recently renovated, in an intervention that recovered the pavement and the two pergolas. The fountain in the central zone of the garden was also recovered.
3 September, 2018 / News
Highly sought after during the São João celebrations, the area of the Fontainhas has a special charm at any time of the year thanks to its the magnificent landscape view.
This wide alameda, very close to the Ponte do Infante, is a privileged place to see the landscape of the Douro, Vila Nova de Gaia and a part of the city of Porto. From here you can also see four of the six bridges of the city of Porto: Ponte Luís I, Ponte do Infante, Ponte Maria Pia and Ponte de São João.
The trees and stone benches make this the perfect place to enjoy the shade on the hottest days or to watch the sunset.
If you want to venture out, you can go down the steep Rua da Corticeira towards the Douro River. On the way, you will find traces of an old chapel and a ceramic factory. For centuries, women who climbed the slope carrying heavy bales of carqueja (a plant that was later used in the furnaces of the downtown bakeries) walked on this sidewalk.
This is, still today, one of the most distinctive areas of the city and a place where strong bonds of friendship remain.
GPS: 41.14251570487, -8.6002564430237
It is considered the last romantic garden of Porto. The bridge that crosses the lake and the lush green trees that surround it create a unique and peaceful environment in a very busy area.
Built in 1897, this garden was designed by the Gardener-Landscapist Jerónimo Monteiro da Costa. The lake, the bridge and trees like cedars, sequoias and araucarias make this green space a pleasant place to relax.
Located next to the Hospital de Santo António, this garden also pays homage to the doctor, professor, researcher and artist Abel Salazar, with a statue by the sculptor Hélder de Carvalho.
The name (Carregal) comes from a plant called Carrega which grew on the banks of the Rio Frio (a River) which started near Torrinha and passed through the place where the hospital Santo António is today.
This square, located in the heart of the historic center, is the ideal place to relax between walks in the city’s alleys and visits to points of interest that surround this garden.
Standing on top of a pedestal, stands the statue which gave this garden its name, and was inaugurated in 1900. The Infante Dom Henrique (1394-1460) was a noble navigator and important figure of the Age of the Portuguese Discoveries. He will have been born nearby, at Casa do Infante.
The Streets of Ferreira Borges, Infante D. Henrique, Mouzinho da Silveira and the Bolsa set the limits of this square which was previously an integral part of the fence of the Convent of St. Domingos.
The privileged location of this square allows amazing views of the surrounding emblematic buildings, such as the Stock Exchange Palace, the Ferreira Borges Market, St. Francis Church and the Parish Church of St. Nicholas.
Rua do Infante Dom Henrique, Porto
How to get there:
Bus: 1M, 500, 900, 901, 906, ZH, ZM, ZR and 10M
Tram: STCP – Infante – Passeio Alegre
Featuring an eighteenth-century country house, Quinta de Bonjóia is a large space in the eastern part of the city ideal for a delightful family outing.
Occupying an area of roughly 40,000m², Quinta de Bonjóia stands out for its country house, which is said to have been designed by Nicolau Nasoni, architect responsible for the Clérigos Tower. Although the main building has never been completed, this property is classified as a monument of public interest.
The unevenness of the terrain allows you to enjoy a privileged view to the level garden and also to the Campanhã Valley, framed by the river Douro. The gardens and woods that make up this farmhouse invite you to spend some hours appreciating it.
In addition of being a pleasant place to stroll and relax, Quinta de Bonjóia also hosts activities, such as Tai Chi classes, markets dedicated to organic farming and workshops.
Rua da Bonjóia, 185, Porto
More than a garden, it is a privileged viewpoint of the Rio Douro and the city of Porto. The Jardim do Morro, in Gaia, is a brilliant spot to watch the sunset or to appreciate a casual stroll and enjoy the view.
For those in Porto, the access to this garden on the other side of the Rio Douro, can be done by metro since there is a station right in front, or by foot through the top deck of the Ponte D. Luís.
The garden, which has been recently refurbished, lies within in the spot where a hill once stood but ended up being destroyed, so as to build an avenue that connected Gaia to the top deck of the bridge and Porto.
The garden was inaugurated in 1927 and has since then become a privileged viewpoint to Porto. A lake, a cave and, recently, some stone benches have been strategically placed to make it that much more charming. The recent construction work improved the green spaces within it, as well as adding in a bar and other supportive structures.
Avenida da República, Vila Nova Gaia
Entirely dedicated to biodiversity, the Galeria da Biodiversidade – Centro Ciência Viva is so much more than a museum. This modern space, which combines science and art, is made to create unforgettable memories. It hosts the photographic exhibition Photo Ark up until the end of April
The center integrates the Museu de História Natural e da Ciência da Universidade do Porto (MHNC-UP) (Natural History and Science Museum of the University of Porto), which along with the Jardim Botânico (Botanical Garden) represents one of the hubs connected to the University of Porto.
Located in the legendary Casa Andresen – which inspired the renowned Portuguese poet Sophia de Mello Breyner – the Galeria da Biodiversidade is also surrounded by the Botanical Garden, an equally mandatory stop for science lovers, It is a place where art meets biology and natural history, stimulating interactivity and sensorial experiences. The permanent exhibition integrates 49 very unique narrative modules and installations, organized by 15 main themes that approach several aspects within biological and cultural diversity. From mechanical models to multimedia platforms, there are several ways of bringing together the visitor and the stories told through science, literature and art.
Photographic Noah’s Ark
Until the 29th April, the Biodiversity Gallery hosts the National Geographic Photo Ark, based on a project from Joel Sartore. This photographer set a goal 10 years ago: photograph all existing species held in captivity, to create one of the largest archives of biodiversity in the world. This “Photographic Noah’s Ark” is intended to create public awareness towards the conservation of vulnerable animals. The exhibition already pictures over 7000 species and you do not want to miss on seeing its greatest pictures here.
Galeria da Biodiversidade (Gallery of Biodiversity)
Rua do Campo Alegre, n.º 1191, Porto
Schedule: from Tuesday to Sunday, 10am to 6pm
Regular Ticket: 5€
4 December, 2017 / Garden
It is one of the most recent green spaces in the city and one of the quietest, despite all the movement around it.
Located in the Antas area and surrounded by several cafes ideal for a family breakfast, this garden was built in 1948. Initially it was designated as Velasquez Square Garden (Spanish painter, 1599-1660), name by which it is still known by the older residents.
Its current name – Dr. Francisco Sá Carneiro Square – honors the former Portuguese Prime Minister, born in Porto in July 1934 and died on December 4, 1980, in a plane crash near Lisbon.
This circular shaped garden has a sculpture alluding to the politician. With ample space for walking, running or cycling, it also has places with shade and benches that invite you to rest.
The former FC Porto stadium (Estádio das Antas, which is now demolished) was very close by, so on football days it was one of the busiest places in the city.
On the third Saturday of each month, an Antique Fair takes place in this garden.
STCP (Bus): 300,301, 305, 401, 402, 805, 806 and 8M
17 October, 2017 / Garden
From boot camp to leisure activities area
The official name of this space is Jardim de Teófilo Braga, but this garden, located in the center of the city, is better known as Praça da República. It was a boot camp and only in 1915 became a public garden.
It was built in 1790 with the sole objective to be a field for military exercises of Quartel Santo Ovídio, a building that still exists today. This place was also the stage of historic moments, like the Liberal Revolution of 1820, the 31 of January of 1891 (first attempt of implantation of the Republic) and 25 of April of 1974.
It is a rectangular garden, flanked by linden and oak trees, with lawns and palm trees. With wooden benches to enjoy the shade, this garden is also distinguished by the sculptures that adorn it: Baco by Teixeira Lopes, Padre Américo by Henrique Moreira and the República by Bruno Marques, which marks the centenary of the implantation of the Republic.
How to get there: STCP: 202, 304, 502 and 600
A garden with many lives
During the French invasions it was a line of defence of the city and also functioned as a tax collection post. Today it is one of the most central green spaces in the city.
In the second half of the nineteenth century, when this space gained its current configuration, it was called Largo da Aguardente and even had a bullring. In 1898 it was landscaped, a mall and a bandstand were built which still stand today. The name pays homage to the Marquês de Pombal, minister of king D. José, who played a crucial role in the History of Portugal.
In the XXI century, with the construction of the metro line and the urban renewal of Porto 2001 – European Capital of Culture, it gained two new elements: a circular fountain was assembled which for many years had been placed in Praça D.João I and access to the subway station was built, which is camouflaged with hedges of camellias.
On the west side of the garden is the Church of the Immaculate Conception, built in 1938.
How to get there:
STCP Buses: 203, 206, 302, 303, 402, 701, 702, 703, 805 and 800
Underground line: D