The landscape is unmistakable and world famous because of its beauty and uniqueness. The houses and the narrow streets frame the Douro River, where rabelo boats and bridges help create a colorful and unforgettable picture.
Ribeira is one of the most famous areas of the city and a must for anyone who wants to get to know, photograph or video the city and retain this landscape to memory. In fact, the history of Porto is intrinsically linked to Ribeira, since it was from here that the city was built as well as with the soul of the locals themselves.
The Douro River has long been a place of trade and exchange of cultures; Merchants from around the world left their goods here, taking products such as Port Wine around the world, which has ever since given fame and wealth to this unique city.
The area of the Ribeira is included in the classification of World Heritage attributed by UNESCO. Walking through its narrow streets, contemplating the river or being charmed by its monuments and gastronomy are “compulsory” activities for you to visit the city.
Points of interest:
Ribeira Square: The fountain was rebuilt after archaeological discoveries in the 80’s. At that time a sculpture by José Rodrigues, was also installed in the Cubo da Ribeira square. The statue of St. John the Baptist, made by John Cutileiro, was placed in the fountain in the year 2000. With an enviable location and several terraces, it is the ideal place to stop a bit and enjoy the scenery.
Senhora do Ó Chapel: The building dates back to the 17th century and refurbished in the 19th century after the destruction which occurred during the liberal struggles. In the interior, an altarpiece stands, carved at the beginning of the 18th century. The image of Senhora do Ó, comes from the chapel, Porta da Ribeira, which was demolished in 1821.
Pillars of the Suspension Bridge: The bridge opened to the public in 1843, a response to the need for a permanent crossing between Porto and Gaia. It only existed for 44 years, since the population did not trust its security. It was replaced by the Ponte de Luiz I; however, there are still two pillars in stone, in the form of an obelisk that remain.
Shrines at the bridge: a bas-relief that recalls one of the most tragic moments in Porto’s history. During the French Invasions hundreds of people tried to escape to the other shore by a bridge made of boats. The bridge sank with the weight and still today candles are placed in memory of the many victims of this tragedy.
Postigo de Carvão: The only one left of the 18 doors and shutters that existed in the Fernandine Walls, built in the 14th century around the city of Oporto. The two streets, namely, Rua da Fonte Taurina and Cais da Ribeira were connected, where boats were docked on the Douro River.