Curiosities

Nicolau Nasoni – One the most influential figures in the architecture of Porto
18 April, 2018 / ,

Having reigned for over 30 years, architect-painter Nicolau Nasoni was effectively a sort of king of the arts without rivals.

Arriving in Porto in 1725, at the age of 34 (he was born in Tuscany in 1691), originally from Valletta, the Isle of Malta, where he had worked for some years for the Portuguese Grand Master D. António Manuel de Vilhena.

His great work of Malta, was painting the corridors of the Palace of the Grand Masters in Valletta. It was there where his fresco style was revealed and it would later be transferred onto the granite of Porto, in works such as the Cathedral or Sé, the Clérigos and the Igreja da Misericórdia. Roque de Távora, brother of the Dean of Porto, recommended Nasoni as a result of his spectacular ability to work.

 Nasoni gave Porto that urban grandeur which originates from possession of palaces and temples, monasteries and stately homes on a large scale, identified with a top notch artistic genius. And in the case of the great artist of Porto, this distinction is not limited to the field of architecture. It is also expressed in the painting, sculpture; both in stone and carving; gold engraving, wrought iron, to name some genius aspects of the extraordinary man who shaped and ennobled the city of Porto.

  

Article taken from the magazine “O Tripeiro” # 7, July 1996, VI series, Year VI

Boavista Football Club – The club of “weird jerseys”
27 March, 2018 / ,

Portuguese champion in 2000/01, Boavista has over 100 years of history.
Established by the British, it stood out in the 90’s. The checkered jerseys led it to become known in Italy as “the club of weird jerseys.”

The British, which due to the business of Port Wine had a large community in the city, introduced football in Porto. The Boavista Footballers was set up in 1903, but few years later, due to a disagreement concerning the days when the matches should be held – the Portuguese preferred to play on Sundays whereas the British wanted to play on Saturdays – resulted in the subjects of His Majesty walking out on the club.

As Boavista Futebol Clube, it had a strong growth over the following decades. The main feature was winning the Portuguese Championship in 2000/01, but participation in European competition had been going on for some years. And it was in 1991/92 during a UEFA Cup qualifying match against Inter Milan, came up the nickname “club of weird jerseys,” an allusion to the black and white checkered jerseys.

The Bessa Stadium, renovated for Euro 2004, has a museum with the history of the club, a walk of fame and two sculptures by José Rodrigues in which the panther, the club symbol , is highlighted.

Did you know? Portuguese cinema was born in Porto.
23 March, 2018 / , ,

“A Saída do Pessoal Operário da Fábrica Confiança”, made in 1896, may have been the first film made in Portugal.

The birth of Portuguese cinema is connected to the city of Porto and a man who had photography as a hobby and commerce as his main activity.

Aurélio da Paz dos Reis was an image enthusiast and, in addition to fl owers and seeds, he also used to sell films, typewriters and automobiles. He pursued with interest all the innovations that were emerging at that time and he tried to buy a cinematograph from the Lumière brothers. Not succeeding, he acquired from his brother in law a chronophotograph device.

It was with this equipment that in 1896 he made what would be considered the first Portuguese film: “ A Saída do Pessoal Operário da Fábrica Confiança.”

This shirt factory, located on Rua de Santa Catarina, No. 181, was the chosen location, maybe influenced by the Lumière brothers fi lm (1894/1895), La Sortie de l’usine Lumière à Lyon.

The first movie theatre of the city, Salão Highlife, was inaugurated in 1906.

The first tram in the Iberian Peninsula
12 March, 2018 /

Up until the end of the 19th century, animal-drawn carriages were the most common transport. The first tram came to Germany in 1879. In September 1895, it would be Porto’s turn.

 

Porto developed quite a lot during the nineteenth century and in the last decade of that century it became increasingly necessary to find an economic means of transport that would allow the city to expand at a faster rate. The hypothesis of using elevators in steeper streets was considered, but the option ended up falling on the tram. Porto then became the first city of the Iberian Peninsula to receive the tram. The first line was inaugurated in 1895, connecting Carmo to Arrábida, and later Foz and Matosinhos. The arrival of buses and the increase in the number of cars have led to a reduction in the number of lines and passengers.

 

There are currently three lines in operation:

Line 1 makes the connection between the historic center and Jardim do Passeio Alegre, along the banks of the Douro River;

Line 18 – Connects Massarelos ao Carmo;

Line 22 – circular route between Carmo and Batalha / Guindais.

The tragedy of the House of Mermaids
9 March, 2018 / ,

Also known as the Palácio da Bandeirinha, the Casa das Sereias (named after the two images that flank the main door) was built in the mid-18th century by the Portocarrero family.

The building, an imposing palace that still distinguishes itself in the landscape of the city, was built on the site of the Cemetery of the Hebrews and the old Jewish quarter. The family, despite its wealth and prestige, did not escape some tragic episodes. The owner of the estate died in a boat accident in the Douro and, since he had no children, the palace passed on to his brother.

In 1809, during the French Invasions, a group of people, convinced that one of the elements of the family was conniving with the French, slaughtered him in the courtyard of the house. The Portocarrero, who in the mean time lost other members of the family in a tragic way, left the palace and did not return. The building was closed until 1995. It was sold to the Institute of the Instituto das Filhas da Caridade who installed a college there that is still in operation.

 

 

 

 

The Tripeiro 7th series Year XXXIII, Number 3 March 2014

The pipe organs that have been operating since 1779
15 January, 2018 / , ,

The Historical Organs of the Clérigos continue to function perfectly, despite being more than 200 years old.

They were made by the Spanish Dom Sebastião de Acunha and, like the building in which they are inserted, are a notable example of the Baroque style that characterized the late eighteenth century. The box of the organ on the side of the epistle is surmounted by a moon; the side of the gospel is characterized by a sun. The unification of these two elements refers to the idea of ​​absolute and totality.

In 2015, these organs were played daily, always at the same time (at noon), often with the two historical organs simultaneously and sometimes with the participation of singers. These free concerts enchant the Porto residents and tourists and are another attraction for an already much sought after destination as well as being appreciated by those who visit the city.

In December 2017 Organ Concert # 1000 was celebrated. It was a special day, where two organists and a soprano were in attendance. But every day one can celebrate the long life of these historical pipe organs and enjoy their music.

The “twin” churches
5 December, 2017 / ,

They stand side by side, separated by a narrow house. The Carmo and Carmelitas churches seem to be one, but they have very different stories.

Between these two churches lies the narrowest building in the city, which gives access to the bell tower. However, to get there, it is necessary to climb three floors and go over the dome of the Carmelite church.

The Church of the Carmelitas was the first to be built and is next to the old Convent of Our Lady of Porto (now GNR headquarters). It is a church of the seventeenth century, with a classic façade and exuberant interior, in Porto rococo wood carving. It was the first house of the Order of the Discalced Carmelites monks. The foundation stone was laid on May 5, 1619, and the work was completed in 1622.

The Carmo Church is more recent, dating back to the second half of the eighteenth century. Thus, the rococo style (characterized by a huge profusion of decorative details) is much more evident, both in the exterior and interior architecture. The tiles that cover the lateral facade were placed in 1912. They were designed by Silvestre Silvestri and are allusive to the cult of Our Lady.

Pinto da Costa – The man who put FC Porto on the map
7 November, 2017 / ,

Although he once played football, it is not for scoring goals that makes him stand out in FC Porto. His vision for the club, the strategy he outlined and his strong leadership has made FC Porto one of the most prestigious clubs in the world.

Jorge Nuno Pinto da Costa is not only adored by the fans of his club, who sing songs with his name during the games and affectionately call him “The Pope”. He is also the president with the most football titles won at the helm of a club: two Cups of Champions / Champions League, two Intercontinental Cups, two UEFA / Europa League Cups, one European Super Cup, 20 National Championships, 12 Portuguese Cups and 20 Super cups.

Since January 13, 2017 this year he is also the leader who has the longest tenure in the world superseding Santiago Bernabéu (former president of Real Madrid).

He was born in Cedofeita, Porto Downtown, on December 28, 1937, in a family of the upper bourgeoisie, more interested in culture than in sports. However, one of his uncles was already a feverish supporter of FC Porto and took him to see his first game of football in the Field of the Constituição. He would later become a club member and, after high school was no longer just a supporter, he engaged in the club management positions. He began to work in the section of roller hockey, went through boxing and other modalities.

His entry into the football department happened in 1976. In 1978 FC Porto became national champion, 19 years later. The club seemed to have begun a victorious cycle, but in 1980 Pinto da Costa disagreed with the management and moved away. In 1982 he applied for the first time to the leadership of the club and won with 95% of the votes. The rest is a success story.

During the 80’s, FC Porto gained national and international prestige; in the 90’s, they won for the first time five consecutive national titles. In the first decade of the 21st century, there were more titles, including the UEFA Cup in 2003 and the Champions League and the Intercontinental Cup in 2004. The victories in football add to triumphs in other sports as well as important land leveling works: old Estádio das Antas, the construction of the Estádio do Dragão, Dragão Caixa and the FC Porto Museum.

Walking – Chapel of Fradelos
7 November, 2017 / , , , ,

 

“O Porto a penantes” – Penantes is a typical Porto expression that means “walking” – it is a personal project of Joaquim Lino, who likes to walk and photograph some of the corners of the city. He will be sharing with Hey Porto! readers every month some of these tours, leaving suggestions so that those who visit the city can discover secrets that often, not even the people of Porto know.

Recently, in one of these walks through the city, he entered the Chapel of Fradelos, a small late-19th-century church, located at the intersection of Guedes de Azevedo and Sá da Bandeira streets, which is generally off the main tourist routes but deserves to be known. On the main façade and in the interior there are tiles by Jorge Colaço, the same author of the tiles that decorate the Station of St. Benedict and the Church of St. Ildefonso. The stucco ceiling decorated by gold center medallions stands out.

PortoaPenantes

Mouzinho da Silveira Street
17 October, 2017 /

A mark of nineteenth century modernity

It connects Ribeira and Baixa (Downtown) of Porto. It was built in the 19th century, covering a river that divided the city and today is a point of passage for thousands of tourists.

The construction of this street, which honors the liberal politician Mouzinho da Silveira (1780-1849), resulted from the need to connect the area of ​​Ribeira, which until then was the commercial hub of Oporto to the center of the city. The works were financed by the taxes of Wine, levied on the basis of the wine barrels that were unloaded on the Douro River dock.

In contrast to the narrow streets of Ribeira, this new street was already a sign of modernity at a time when Oporto, boosted by burgeoning commerce, grew and gained economic power. The street was built over the Rio da Vila that divided the city; thus obliging the expropriation and demolition of buildings such as the St. Crispim Chapel, St. Roque Chapel and vestiges of the old medieval wall.

The street is 19 meters wide, was opened in 1875. With the construction of São Bento Station (which would be completed in 1916), this road would gain even more importance. The closeness to the station several shops emerged and besides the local consumers they had as clients the residents of Douro and Minho villages that came to the city. In addition to seeds and agricultural implements, these establishments sold products such as corks, scales, or religious items. Some of these stores still exist today and deserve a closer look, since they are a valuable example of the traditional trade of Oporto.

In addition to restaurants, handicraft shops and other places to shop or enjoy a meal, this street has other attractions that are worth seeing. One is a granite fountain that has a curious story: it is a replica of the fountain that existed when the street was built and was demolished to give way to two stores that disappeared overtime and a fountain formed by two spouts and a shell in the center was built according to the original design.