Beer is a favourite drink at any time of the year, but in summertime It is better to accompany a light meal, an afternoon on the terrace, or even at an open-air concert.
Beer and summer blend well and complement each other. Perhaps this is why the Portuguese, as well as great lovers of beer, are also producers of internationally recognized brands. This is the case of Super Bock, made a few kilometres from Porto, which is the only brand on the market to win 36 gold medals from the international Monde Selection da la Qualité. The colour, flavour, foam and body are unique and make it the favourite of the Portuguese and foreigners visiting Portugal. The same brewery also produces Cristal, the oldest beer in the Portuguese market. Existing since 1890, it has also won several gold medals. For those who prefer beer with less alcohol, Cheers ensures the best flavour and lightness.
26 April, 2018 / Culture
From May 6 to 12 the Porto university students are celebrating and the city is invaded by a huge wave of color and joy. Concerts, a gigantic parade and other cultural activities involve more than 350,000 students.
The tradition stands for decades. For a week, Porto’s university students are partying, going out in the street with their academic apparel, black robes and their top hats, walking sticks and ribbons in the folders that bear the color of each course. The party begins with a monumental serenade, at midnight on Sunday, the 6th. On Tuesday, during the afternoon and night, the students walk the streets of the city in a procession that ends up involving their relatives, townspeople and tourists. The march begins next to the Rectory of the University of Porto and ends in the Aliados.
The Blessing of the folders Mass, which also takes place in the Aliados, is another high point of an intense program, which also includes concerts in the City Park.
The church of Santo Ildefonso has about 11,000 tiles on the front and sides of the bell towers.
These tiles were designed by Jorge Colaço, who also created the tiles of São Bento Station, and represent scenes from the life of Saint Ildefonso and the Gospel. They were placed only in 1931, but the construction of the church is much older.
The church of Santo Ildefonso began to be constructed in 1709, the first phase (still without the bell towers) being completed in 1730. In the interior there are eight stained glass windows and a retable in carved baroque and rococo of the first half of the 18th Century by Nicolau Nasoni. When visiting this church, located in the middle of downtown Porto, do not forget to pay attention to two large canvases measuring 5.80 x 4.30 meters, suspended on the side walls, painted between 1785 and 1792.
In the area of the choir there is a pipe organ of the early nineteenth century, which has been restored. The church also has vestiges of an old cemetery, discovered during the restoration works of recovery executed in 1996.
It was from the staircase of this church that in 1891 shots were fired that would end the revolution that was the first attempt of the implantation of the Republic in Portugal.
Produced in the Douro region, it is world -famous and can be enjoyed in the most diverse occasions.
The terraces and the climate of the Douro allied to the experience gained over the centuries to create a unique wine in the world, with an aroma and unique flavours, which features a wide range of colours – ranging from (ruby to pale white, then passing to golden white) and sweetness (very sweet, sweet, semi-sweet or extra dry).
The aging process results in two different types of Port Wine. Ruby wines keep the red colour, fruity aroma and strength of a young wine. In terms of quality, they can be divided into Ruby, Reserve, Late Bottled Vintage (LBV) and Vintage. The wines from the best categories, especially Vintage, can be stored for several years, as they age well in the bottle.
Tawny ports are obtained by blending different matured wines by aging in casks or vats. Colours can be red-tawny, tawny or tawny light and aromas evoke dried fruit and wood, characteristics that are accentuated with age. The existing categories are: Tawny, Tawny Reserve, Tawny with age indication (10 years, 20 years, 30 years and 40 years) and Vintage. They may be consumed shortly after bottling.
The inspiration came from croque-monsieur, but the sauce was invented in a Porto restaurant and the Portuguese ingredients give it a unique flavor. It is one of the typical dishes of Porto, ideal for cold days and nights. Here is a simple recipe to make when you return home and miss Porto.
1 cube of Beef stock
1 Bay Leaf
1 tablespoon margarine
1 goblet of Brandy or port wine
1 tablespoon corn starch flour
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1 dl of milk
Dissolve the flour well with the milk and add the remaining ingredients. Blend allthe ingredients together into a smooth paste. On the stove bring the ingredients to a boil until it thickens a little stirring always to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan.
4 slices of sliced bread (without crust)
2 Portuguese smoked thin sausages (linguiça)
2 slices of cheese
2 slices of ham
Season the steaks with salt and pepper and grill them, grill the sausage and the linguiça too. Toast the slices of bread. In a oven-proof dish place 1 slice of bread, the steak, the Sausage cut in half, slice of ham and finally the linguiça cut in half just like the sausage. Cover with the other slice of bread and place a slice of cheese over the bread. Pour the hot sauce over the sandwich covered with cheese and place in preheated oven to melt the cheese.
18 April, 2018 / Curiosities
The influence of the English in the city of Porto and specifically the Port wine is well known, but the relationship between Porto and British is much older.
The first contact took place around June 1147, when the English Crusaders who were going to the Holy Land stayed in Porto for 11 days waiting for the forces commanded by the Count of Areschot and Cristiano de Gistell, who had separated from the fleet due to a tempest at sea . The first king of Portugal, Afonso Henriques, on learning of this fact, tried to establish an agreement with their leaders, convincing them to help in the conquest of Lisbon from the Moors.
The relationship intensified during the middle Ages, with the establishment of commercial relations. Cloths, wine, wood, furs and fish were the products traded between the two countries.
The 2 of February of 1367 the Cathedral of the Porto was stage of the marriage between D. João I and D. Filipa de Lencastre, a union that would offset the support of the British in the fight against Castile. In 1642, two years after the restoration of Portugal’s independence, Porto receives the first British consul, Nicholas Comerforde.
18 April, 2018 / Curiosities
Having reigned for over 30 years, architect-painter Nicolau Nasoni was effectively a sort of king of the arts without rivals.
Arriving in Porto in 1725, at the age of 34 (he was born in Tuscany in 1691), originally from Valletta, the Isle of Malta, where he had worked for some years for the Portuguese Grand Master D. António Manuel de Vilhena.
His great work of Malta, was painting the corridors of the Palace of the Grand Masters in Valletta. It was there where his fresco style was revealed and it would later be transferred onto the granite of Porto, in works such as the Cathedral or Sé, the Clérigos and the Igreja da Misericórdia. Roque de Távora, brother of the Dean of Porto, recommended Nasoni as a result of his spectacular ability to work.
Nasoni gave Porto that urban grandeur which originates from possession of palaces and temples, monasteries and stately homes on a large scale, identified with a top notch artistic genius. And in the case of the great artist of Porto, this distinction is not limited to the field of architecture. It is also expressed in the painting, sculpture; both in stone and carving; gold engraving, wrought iron, to name some genius aspects of the extraordinary man who shaped and ennobled the city of Porto.
Article taken from the magazine “O Tripeiro” # 7, July 1996, VI series, Year VI
27 March, 2018 / News
Portuguese champion in 2000/01, Boavista has over 100 years of history.
Established by the British, it stood out in the 90’s. The checkered jerseys led it to become known in Italy as “the club of weird jerseys.”
The British, which due to the business of Port Wine had a large community in the city, introduced football in Porto. The Boavista Footballers was set up in 1903, but few years later, due to a disagreement concerning the days when the matches should be held – the Portuguese preferred to play on Sundays whereas the British wanted to play on Saturdays – resulted in the subjects of His Majesty walking out on the club.
As Boavista Futebol Clube, it had a strong growth over the following decades. The main feature was winning the Portuguese Championship in 2000/01, but participation in European competition had been going on for some years. And it was in 1991/92 during a UEFA Cup qualifying match against Inter Milan, came up the nickname “club of weird jerseys,” an allusion to the black and white checkered jerseys.
The Bessa Stadium, renovated for Euro 2004, has a museum with the history of the club, a walk of fame and two sculptures by José Rodrigues in which the panther, the club symbol , is highlighted.
“A Saída do Pessoal Operário da Fábrica Confiança”, made in 1896, may have been the first film made in Portugal.
The birth of Portuguese cinema is connected to the city of Porto and a man who had photography as a hobby and commerce as his main activity.
Aurélio da Paz dos Reis was an image enthusiast and, in addition to fl owers and seeds, he also used to sell films, typewriters and automobiles. He pursued with interest all the innovations that were emerging at that time and he tried to buy a cinematograph from the Lumière brothers. Not succeeding, he acquired from his brother in law a chronophotograph device.
It was with this equipment that in 1896 he made what would be considered the first Portuguese film: “ A Saída do Pessoal Operário da Fábrica Confiança.”
This shirt factory, located on Rua de Santa Catarina, No. 181, was the chosen location, maybe influenced by the Lumière brothers fi lm (1894/1895), La Sortie de l’usine Lumière à Lyon.
The first movie theatre of the city, Salão Highlife, was inaugurated in 1906.
12 March, 2018 / Curiosities
Up until the end of the 19th century, animal-drawn carriages were the most common transport. The first tram came to Germany in 1879. In September 1895, it would be Porto’s turn.
Porto developed quite a lot during the nineteenth century and in the last decade of that century it became increasingly necessary to find an economic means of transport that would allow the city to expand at a faster rate. The hypothesis of using elevators in steeper streets was considered, but the option ended up falling on the tram. Porto then became the first city of the Iberian Peninsula to receive the tram. The first line was inaugurated in 1895, connecting Carmo to Arrábida, and later Foz and Matosinhos. The arrival of buses and the increase in the number of cars have led to a reduction in the number of lines and passengers.
There are currently three lines in operation:
Line 1 makes the connection between the historic center and Jardim do Passeio Alegre, along the banks of the Douro River;
Line 18 – Connects Massarelos ao Carmo;
Line 22 – circular route between Carmo and Batalha / Guindais.