It is only 30 meters long and is called Rua Afonso Martins Alho, named after a merchant of the fourteenth century.
This small street is between the Rua de Mouzinho da Silveira and Rua das Flores and is named after a merchant sent by King D. Afonso IV to negotiate with the court of Eduardo III the first commercial treaty between Portugal and England, in 1353.
The city began to grow in the medieval period, having grown from the area along the Douro River. Because of this, many of the streets in this area are still small and narrow. In fact, more than 30% of the streets of Porto are less than six meters wide and 40% of the roads are one-way.
It was in the 18th century, on the initiative of the urban planners João de Almada that the city, as we know it today, began to take shape. Until then, Porto was practically limited by the Gothic wall, extended by small rural parishes and the fishing zones near the margin of the Douro river. During this time streets such as the streets of São João, Santa Catarina and Santo Ildefonso were extended. After his death, his son, Francisco de Almada, continued this work of urbanization and modernization of the city.