It is one of the treasures of Porto. Located in the historical area of the city, it is distinguished by the Gothic construction and the rich golden carving interior.
The Church of Santa Clara is one of the best examples of decoration with gilded carving used during the Baroque period. Despite being a building of Gothic origin, dating back to the XV century, it has undergone several transformations throughout the centuries, thus lodging various architectural and decorative styles.
The cloister, for example, has Mannerist characteristics, but the concierge and the chancels are already examples of the Baroque of the early eighteenth century. The nave underwent alterations in 1732, in order to enlarge the space and increase the interior lighting. The most significant transformation, however, occurred with the introduction of the gilded carving in the master chapel.
This national monument features the tiles, which stand out, in the area of the chancels, with a panel dating back to 1680, representing the souls of Purgatory.
Address: Largo 1º de Dezembro, 4000-404 Porto
Tel.: +351 223392330
Opening hours: Guided tours: Mon-Fri: 10:00-12:30 / 14:30-17:00 Sat: 10:00-12:30