A monument, more than 40 years of construction

A monument, more than 40 years of construction

Intended to evoke the Centennial of the Peninsular Wars, the monument located in the center of Mouzinho de Albuquerque Square (Rotunda da Boavista) began to be built during the Monarchy but was only completed more than 40 years later during the Republic.

The idea of ​​honoring the way the troops and the people of North America defeated Napoleon’s army – symbolized in the way the lion overlapped the imperial eagle – arose in 1908. The first stone was laid in 1909 by King Manuel II, who would become the last Portuguese king. A contest was launched for the project, but the winner would only be known in 1911, when Portugal was already a Republic.

The architect Marques da Silva and the sculptor Alves de Sousa were chosen for a project that would only be finished after their deaths. Alves de Sousa passed away in 1922 and Marques da Silva, who tried everything to complete the construction, would also die in 1947 before the monument was inaugurated. It was through the hands of his daughter and his son-in-law, and already with contributions from the sculptors Henrique Moreira and Sousa Caldas, that this ex-libris of the city would be ready. It was inaugurated on May 27, 1952.

Source: O Tripeiro, 7th grade, Year XXVIII, Number 5 – May 2009

(Visited 117 times, 1 visits today)
6 June, 2018 / ,
Comments

Comments are closed here.

Advertising
Instagram #heyporto
No images found!
Try some other hashtag or username
(Português) Subscreva a nossa newsletter!