From boot camp to leisure activities area
The official name of this space is Jardim de Teófilo Braga, but this garden, located in the center of the city, is better known as Praça da República. It was a boot camp and only in 1915 became a public garden.
It was built in 1790 with the sole objective to be a field for military exercises of Quartel Santo Ovídio, a building that still exists today. This place was also the stage of historic moments, like the Liberal Revolution of 1820, the 31 of January of 1891 (first attempt of implantation of the Republic) and 25 of April of 1974.
It is a rectangular garden, flanked by linden and oak trees, with lawns and palm trees. With wooden benches to enjoy the shade, this garden is also distinguished by the sculptures that adorn it: Baco by Teixeira Lopes, Padre Américo by Henrique Moreira and the República by Bruno Marques, which marks the centenary of the implantation of the Republic.
How to get there: STCP: 202, 304, 502 and 600