Was the Circunvalação used to collect taxes?
This road that surrounds Porto is 17 kilometers long, between the zone of Campanhã and the sea. It was strategically built and it had 13 posts to collect taxes on goods entering Porto.
The construction of the Circumvallation Road (National Road 12) began in 1889 and was based on a military design; there were ditches (moats) with 2 to 3 meters of depth in the place where the central slab is now.
Its main objective was to inspect the goods that entered the city overland, charging the respective taxes. Along the road there were 13 small buildings (Esteiro, Freixo, Campanhã, São Roque, Rebordões, Areosa, Azenha, Amial, Monte dos Burgos, Senhora da Hora, Pereiro, Vilarinha and Castelo do Queijo) in which employees of the Crown, Bishopric and the Municipality charged their respective fees. For example, the tax named “Real da Agua”, focused on meat, alcoholic beverages, rice, vinegar and olive oil was abolished in 1922. The revenue was allocated to the maintenance of pipes, fountains and aqueducts that supplied water to the populations. In 1943 all indirect municipal taxes were abolished.
Many of these collection posts have been demolished, but some still stand.